My age.....

Thursday, June 18, 2009

MN Trip

I just got back from my first long car ride trip--up to MN and back again in 5 days. Uncle W. flew in from CA on Thursday evening so that he could visit a few CO friends before we took off to MN. We left after M&D finished work on Friday. I was awake the first few hours, then I slept most of the way--although I woke up when we stopped for gas the first time. But I was so sleepy I just wanted to stay in the car and I fell right back to sleep as soon as the car started moving again. With only 3 stops (to get gas & switch drivers), it only took us 13 1/2 hours to get to Fergus, so we got in just in time for breakfast Saturday morning. M slept most of the way with me (until it was her turn to drive), but D doesn't sleep well in cars, so he went straight to taking a nap. Meanwhile, I was busy exploring. G&G got us a lakeside cabin while G had to go to meetings all week. I soon learned how to get from the cabin to the beach, so M was busy chasing me for 2 days (G chased on the 3rd day)!! G even bought me a life jacket, so I would be safe playing by the lake.I had the time of my life. I got to play on the beach all day and get as wet and dirty as I wanted to. M and Aunt M even took me out on a paddle boat with them.
On Sunday, a lot of G's family came to spend the afternoon with us. We rented a pontoon and spent the afternoon on the lake. I even got to drive!!


M and Uncle W took a swim out in the middle of the lake. D even jumped in for a while. I was interested in getting in, so Aunt M helped me jump in. BUT it was cold, so I didn't like it very much at all!

We had a BBQ supper in front of our cabin (ours was the top level of the big white one....had 3 bedrooms, huge living room and a sun porch overlooking Ottertail Lake). M forgot how much she enjoyed Rhubarb desserts....we had 3 different ones in 4 days!

On Monday, I got to play with Aunt M, G & Uncle W while M&D headed to Minneapolis to see some friends. I played outside some and also was a big help around the cabin. I hardly noticed M&D were gone all day!Our last full day there, it rained on & off all day and was very cold. M didn't want me playing in the COLD lake water, so we went on a hike instead. Coming from CO it wasn't a very long hike & didn't climb a lot of elevation, but it was just about perfect for me. I ran up the whole way and tried to run down also....Uncle W and Aunt M tried to get me to hold hands so I would walk going down though! The only time I was carried was when I got too far off the trail and had to be brought back.Back in the parking lot, Aunt M was walking the "balance beams", so I tried to be just like her!

After such a tiring hike, I had to get a cold drink of water.


Wednesday morning, D woke me up early to put me in my carseat for the long drive back home. With only M&D driving on the way back, they figured daytime driving was safer. But I was awake a lot more (since I only slept for 3 hours of the drive), a bit more restless, so we stopped a few more times. It took us almost 15 hours to get home. However, M was very proud of how I traveled. I only complained about my carseat once, so M&D got out the DVD player for me and I settled in to watch Curious George for the next hour and half. Other than that I played hide n'seek with M&D, colored, read some books and sang to a CD. But I was ready to be home and play in the park and run up and down the halls of my house. I think I will stick to plane rides for now (much shorter!!), but I'm sure I'll go on another car ride soon.

No comments: