The last few weeks have been one sickness after another. It started Thursday, January 12th when M got a call from my teacher saying I had thrown up in the school driveway on the way over to the cafeteria for lunch. So M and I went home that day and due to school policy were home the next day also, even though I didn't throw up again, although I did have a fever most of the afternoon.
Monday (the 16th) found us back at school with the start of a cold coming on. I swam in the morning and when M came to the cafeteria to eat lunch with me I was fast asleep on my teacher's lap. Since the cough had started that morning and the teacher thought I had a slight fever, I was again sent home with M. This time M tried to get me to continue my nap in her office, while she got another hour or so of work accomplished. By late afternoon my fever was very apparent, so M took me home. The rest of the week M and I fought a cold, but were at school and work.
The next Monday (23) morning found me throwing up in my bed at 4:30 and doing so 3 more times before M got up at 6 for work. Since D was on the afternoon shift, M headed to work a little early with the plan to leave in the afternoon and get D off to his work a few hours late. Since my last episode was early morning, I was allowed to go back to school the next day. So off to another week of school & work. D started complaining Wednesday that the cold M and I had, had been given to him. Friday night he went into work earlier so he could be off by our bedtime. He wasn't even home an hour when he started throwing up. He spent most of the night throwing up. Saturday the flu was mostly gone, but a serious cold had set in, which caused D to miss work Saturday and church Sunday with M, C and I staying as far away from him as we could.
Saturday night my fever came back and by Sunday night I was complaining about my right ear hurting. When M checked on me at 3am Monday morning and I was still burning up, it was decided that she would use a sick day for the 3rd Monday in a row. The first appointment at the Pediatric's office was at 8:20 in the morning with a doctor I had never seen. It was a very productive appointment. Antibiotics were prescribed for an ear infection and then the doctor spent the next 45 minutes explaining Asthma and his official diagnosis of it in me. By the time we left, M had 5 prescriptions to fill for the various aliments. This week I have been on antibiotics for the ear infection, a steroid for the inflammation on my airways, Tylenol with codeine for my cough and an Albuterol inhaler for my wheezing. After 4 days M can say that they have worked. Starting next week (once I am off the steroid) I will start my preventative medicine for asthma. The doctor suggested that I use the inhaler during the school year and during the summer do my regiment of allergy medicines.
Even though I have a long road ahead of me (although hopefully I will outgrow the asthma), it is somewhat of a relief for M. She has long suspected that I had more than just allergies. Even when I am having an allergy attack, it is more asthmatic--in that manifests as a cough (sometime so hard that it causes me to throw up) rather than itching/watery eyes/nose as most hay fever allergies do.
Luckily, other than a few sniffles and a slight cough, C has gone through the last 3 weeks unscathed. M spent most of the day Monday disinfecting the house and cleaning the bathrooms. Hopefully the sickness is out of our house for good!!!
Monday (the 16th) found us back at school with the start of a cold coming on. I swam in the morning and when M came to the cafeteria to eat lunch with me I was fast asleep on my teacher's lap. Since the cough had started that morning and the teacher thought I had a slight fever, I was again sent home with M. This time M tried to get me to continue my nap in her office, while she got another hour or so of work accomplished. By late afternoon my fever was very apparent, so M took me home. The rest of the week M and I fought a cold, but were at school and work.
The next Monday (23) morning found me throwing up in my bed at 4:30 and doing so 3 more times before M got up at 6 for work. Since D was on the afternoon shift, M headed to work a little early with the plan to leave in the afternoon and get D off to his work a few hours late. Since my last episode was early morning, I was allowed to go back to school the next day. So off to another week of school & work. D started complaining Wednesday that the cold M and I had, had been given to him. Friday night he went into work earlier so he could be off by our bedtime. He wasn't even home an hour when he started throwing up. He spent most of the night throwing up. Saturday the flu was mostly gone, but a serious cold had set in, which caused D to miss work Saturday and church Sunday with M, C and I staying as far away from him as we could.
Saturday night my fever came back and by Sunday night I was complaining about my right ear hurting. When M checked on me at 3am Monday morning and I was still burning up, it was decided that she would use a sick day for the 3rd Monday in a row. The first appointment at the Pediatric's office was at 8:20 in the morning with a doctor I had never seen. It was a very productive appointment. Antibiotics were prescribed for an ear infection and then the doctor spent the next 45 minutes explaining Asthma and his official diagnosis of it in me. By the time we left, M had 5 prescriptions to fill for the various aliments. This week I have been on antibiotics for the ear infection, a steroid for the inflammation on my airways, Tylenol with codeine for my cough and an Albuterol inhaler for my wheezing. After 4 days M can say that they have worked. Starting next week (once I am off the steroid) I will start my preventative medicine for asthma. The doctor suggested that I use the inhaler during the school year and during the summer do my regiment of allergy medicines.
Even though I have a long road ahead of me (although hopefully I will outgrow the asthma), it is somewhat of a relief for M. She has long suspected that I had more than just allergies. Even when I am having an allergy attack, it is more asthmatic--in that manifests as a cough (sometime so hard that it causes me to throw up) rather than itching/watery eyes/nose as most hay fever allergies do.
Luckily, other than a few sniffles and a slight cough, C has gone through the last 3 weeks unscathed. M spent most of the day Monday disinfecting the house and cleaning the bathrooms. Hopefully the sickness is out of our house for good!!!


No comments:
Post a Comment